Saturday, March 05, 2005

***Howl's Moving Castle***

Howl's Moving Castle animation movie was great! No, it was not. It was excellent! For those of you who have yet to watched this movie.. STRONGLY recommend you to watch it, buy the DVD/VCD.. whatever ways you can think of to watch it.

It's from the same makers as the animation movie, Spirited Away (another of my fave) and somehow Hayao Miyazaki, the director of both.. seems to be able to use animation to evoke feelings, thoughts, questions, guesses (and the list goes on).

Plot basically is about Sophie this 18year old hat maker gal who led a plain and simple life till the Witch of the Waste cast a spell on her and turned her into a 90-year old aged woman cos she ticked the Witch of the Waste off not realising that the fat (yes! she is fat! not that I am mean.. will show you below) lady is actually a powerful evil witch.

Fat Witch of the Waste...
And poor Sophie..turned into an old lady overnight.. could not even tell anyone what happened cos the fat witch also cast a spell on her that she could tell no one about it so no one would be able to help her or know about it. If you are wondering if she can's talk forever.. nope.. she still can just that her mouth goes 'ziplocked' tight when she tried to talk about her mishap with the witch.
So determined Sophie set out for the land of the Waste in search of a spell or someone to help restore her back to her actual age. While searching.. she chanced upon a moving, weird and dirty looking castle:

This is Howl's moving castle.. see the chicken legs of the castle? It doesn't look much like a castle but I still think its cute.

When Sophie entered the castle.. she realises that she has entered into Wizard Howl's Moving Castle...a wizard famous for his reputation for devouring young girls' hearts and souls.. *Gasp!* What will happen to poor Sophie after she has already been unfortunately cursed and now entering into another dangerous situation? Go watch the movie la!!! If you wanna know.. Think I will tell you everything meh? No way.. can't do pal! Lol.. hahhaah.. gota keep u hanging in suspense a tad bit ya? :PPPPPP

Anyway.. if the plot doesn't sound appealing to you..there are some phrases in the movie which touched my heart.. and made me reflect on it.

A few phrases that were engraved on my head were like:

1. Scene where Howl is crying and upset.. throwing tantrums cos his nice blonde hair have become a different colour cos Sophie cleaned up and messed up the shampoos and bottles of spells in his bathroom.

Howl while crying and wailing about his hair colour: "What is the point of living when you aren't beautiful?"

Hahaha.. that was classic.. cracked me up.

2. Another scene where Howl went out of the house to fight the battle eventhough he was injured and the situation outside the house looks dangerous.. he left the house eventhough Sophie told him not to and he said this to her:

Howl while leaving the house: "I found the reason to fight and protect.... YOU"

Pris' sighs while her heart melts... isn't he sweet and gentlemanly? Sigh.. we girls are such suckers for such stuff.. but I am sure ALL girls out there wished that their other halfs would be protective of them cos sense of security mah! You can hardly find such men these days... only in animations. Okie.. I mean most single men.. in case some guys I know who are really nice starts picking up stones preparing to stone me alive.

3. This phrase is also meaningful.. this scene is where the witch of the waste is holding onto wizard howl's heart (she has been dying to eat his heart.. and now she have it in her hands) and poor Sophie is tearing while asking the witch to return the heart to her so she can revive Howl who is badly injured. (Note: Its a magical story.. so yes.. someone can be holding another's heart while the 'heartless' remains alive)

Sophie to Witch of Waste while crying and begging her not to eat Howl's heart: "Please return it to me"

Witch of the Waste: "You need it badly?"

Sophie now hugging the witch of the waste: "Yes"

Witch of the Waste: "Ok, you can have it. But you have to take good care of it."

This phrase made me reflect upon myself. Why so? Well cos it dawned on me that this scene is the same as myself with God. Not sure about you, but it made me realise that for myself.. sometimes when we asked God to give us something badly.. and being our Father, He gives us something which He thinks is the best for us, question is...are we able to take good care of what was given to us? Are we even ready to take good care and treasure it when we asked for it from God in the first place? Also, people like me sometimes forget that the Giver of the gift is much more important than that of the gift. Khanh told me few days ago "The gift is just a gesture from the Giver.. the Giver is the important one here" How true. Are you like me? The next time I go asking God for something.. I will ponder on if I am ready to take good care of the gift as well as if I am too focus on the gift instead of the Giver.

4. Okie.. last phrase here. The very last part when Sophie, given Howl's heart put his heart carefully in place to revive him.

Howl reviving after Sophie put his heart in place: "Why do I feel so heavy?"

Sophie to Howl while smiling: "That's because a heart is a burden."

How very true! When I heard that.. the words just ring in my head. We forget that many times because we are given a heart. We are made to feel. And exactly because we feel.. we carry a load of emotions which sometimes is a burden. Maybe I am getting melancholic here but we (at least me) tend to forget that we have a heart and we should make good use of it.

Sometimes when I chat with friends and people and I realise that when a piece of someone's heart goes out to their friends, family, relatives, colleagues, ra ra ra, and it comes back torn and tattered as compared to before especially where people have taken someone's feelings, concern, good intentions for granted.. on general we get bogged down. That's why a heart is a burden.

If we feel hurt cos someone else have taken us for granted, treated us badly, then it's the same with us and God. He gave us His heart.. yet sometimes we take it for granted and we choose not to listen or obey Him .. Again, this makes me reflect on my own behaviours and my walk with Him. Am I ready to listen to Him and let Him take full control? Or its only occassionally that I allow Him to take control? Thought about it.. I want Him to take full control.

Okie.. that's all I remembered for phrases.. I can't possibly remember all la.. (Are you crazy?) HAha.. And if the plot, the phrases aren't enough to captivate you to move your bum to wana catch that movie..Then check out how handsome Howl is (FOR GIRLS LA):

Sigh... *melts* notice the sharp nose? Hehehe..

Priscilla's overall rating for Howl's Moving Castle: 8.5/10

Am so gonna buy the DVD.. share with my Mum to watch. :)

No comments: