Sunday, June 12, 2005

Like Father Like Son....(Case of Kena Bang)

*Disclaimer: You gota read the bible on this.. & basically my thoughts on this to be clearer.. is to say that though Abraham is the Father of faith, he was still human and despite out of fear/insecurity that he lied, our God was gracious enough to still multiply his descendants!!! Our God is merciful!*

Scene 1: Genesis 12:12-13.

Abraham to his wife, Sarah: "When the Egyptians see you, they will say, 'This is his wife.' Then they will kill me but will let you live. Say that you are my sister, so that I will be treated well for your sake and my life would be spared because of you."

Scene 2: Genesis 20:2.

Once more, Abraham said of his wife Sarah to others: "She is my sister."

Genesis 20:2 ".......Then Abimelech king of Gerar sent for Sarah and took her."

Many moons later.. after the death of both Sarah & Abraham.. Issac married Rebekah and like his father earlier, that due to a famine they went to moved to Egypt.. Issac went to Abimelech, kind of the Philistines in Gerar.

Scene 3: Genesis 26:7-9

Isaac to the men in Gerar when they asked him about Rebekah: "She is my sister.."

Abimelech upon discovering that Rebekah is Isaac's wife, Abimelech said to Isaac: "She is really your wife! Why did you say, 'She is my sister'?"

At this moment, I thought if I were Abimelech.. I would have been so kena bang man..(Kena Bang = Malay+Singaporean English for super unlucky [picture head banging against wall scenarios]).. hehe..






7 comments:

Jon Tan said...

hey, so wat u trying to say on this post huh? ;p

Prisca said...

Nothing much. Just my thoughts, that's all.

Prisca said...

I have added in a disclaimer so that people won't misunderstand.. heheh.. not tat God allows people to lie. But more on our God is gracious and merciful.

Wah... my didi.. so fierce *roar* and protective of ur sis. Hehe.. it's ok...we're all cool ya? :)

Merv Kwok said...

think wat she's trying to say is: funny things happen in the bible hehe. wanted to laugh out loud during service when our dear princess pointed it out.

remember, God has a sense of humor. just look at the platypus

Gabster said...

yah... read ur blog and was confused for a while there. Went to read up, and also after guidance from Pris and Ink, I finally understand what this passage is trying to convey.

I always thought Abraham is like super obedient, but this passage tells us that he can also sin. It shows that God dun expect us to be perfect, and God will patiently guide us on the right path. Therefore, we must repent, and he is gracious enough to forgive us.

Another lesson is that Abraham lied once before this, and did that again. Tells us that he compromise on his principles when in danger to his life, acting on his own and not trust God to deliver him from harm. Tells us not to compromise even one time, cos it may lead to the 2nd, 3rd... and so on.

Another good lesson learned thanks to our dear sister in Christ :)

Prisca said...

Wow Gab! Did U just blogged on my blog? Kiddin. Yes.. very good points you mentioned & brought up. I dun think I guided you la.. it was our dear CL, Ink. :) Merv is right also.. I was sharing with him in church that if I were Abimelech and this happen twice to me from the same family line, I will kena bang.

Gabster said...

dun be modest lah, u taught me also..

haha.... who ask that guy so lustful, see pretty girl wanna grab liao... lesson learned, dun see girl, immediately want her, get to know her first, else may be someone else's wife!! hahaha