Sunday, January 08, 2006

How Nice, How Embarrassing, How Queer!

How Nice:


It was raining cats & dogs today. In fact ... it is still raining now.
I was waiting for my bus at Newton MRT ... listening to my mini ipod when a lady came up to me and started talking which I have no idea what she was mouthing since my ipod was turned up. I took out my earphones and she asked me in Mainland Chinese if I understood mandarin and I nodded. She asked me where Hotel Royal was. (Note: 3rd time someone asked me for directions just this week alone!) I tried to explain to her in my cannot make it mandarin where Hotel Royal was.


Told her it's better to take a bus instead of walking as it is drizzling heavily. As I was explaining to her..I saw my bus passed me by. Drats. I have to wait another 15mins for another bus to come along. Oh well, I thought to myself I might as well ensure sheboards the right bus back to her hotel. So her bus came and she boarded the bus happily..I felt elated as it is always nice to do a nice deed even if it is for a stranger.
Feeling happy, I decided I might as well walk back home and even if I get drenched, I could reached home in about 10mins or so and quickly change or get dry. How nice it is to help someone else!


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

How Embarrassing:


Though I was getting a tad drenched, felt really warm inside to be able to help someone else. Especially in this dreadful weather.. I believe she would want to return to her hotel asap...since I would like to return home and rest in this wet weather!


Almost reaching my home, I had to cross 2 traffic lights before I could reach my block. So I waited for the traffic green man to come on and when it did... I strided across the road .. soaked but delighted from earlier's incident. THEN...my left shoe slipped out and I had to hop back on one leg to retrieve the shoe RIGHT SMACK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD WITH CARS ALL WATCHING ME!! *Faint* As if that wasn't embarassing enough... as I hop back to retrieve my shoe..my OTHER SHOE SLIPPED OUT AS WELL!! NOT FORGETTING I'm STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD, MIND YOU!!!! Uurrgghh!! I could almost feel the drivers, motorists all sniggering with laughter..because I know I WOULD too! hahha..


I glanced and saw the red man had come on.. quickly grabbed both my shoes... ran barefooted to the other side and wore my shoes again. The drivers in the cars were nice (I would think so!!).. they did not honk at me at least (maybe because they are dying with laughter.. so slower to react with their horns) and there I was .... laughing to myself how embarrassing it was!!!!


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


How Queer:


As I crossed the other traffic light with my face blushing from the embarrassing situation I was in just seconds ago... I was walking towards my block when a black toyota celica pulled over the side of the road and the guy started to mouth some words to me (Note: I was still listening to my ipod once again).
Once more I took out my earphones (thinking to myself 'Another person asking for directions?? That's one too many this week alone!! But the sucker in me decided... since I am already drenched.. might as well.. if he's lost) and asked him "Sorry, what did you say?" And once more he seems to be mouthing something and I could barely hear him. So I hollered back "HUH?!! WHAT??!! HUH??!!" in my most unglam fashion - drenched, hair messy, holler girl with a few paper bags from shopping earlier. He finally shouted back to me "WOULD YOU LIKE A LIFT? I CAN GIVE YOU ONE!!!!!!". I turned my back.... saw my house gate just behind me and said "Thanks... Am home already". So unglam man... Never in my life have someone pulled over to give me a lift before. How queer!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehehe... such a funny post! I know why lightning doesn't strike the same spot twice coz funnier things are meant to happen when it's raining and Pris is out on the streets. :P

Anyway, why on earth are you listening to your iPod in the rain! That's dangerous! What if the rain gets into your iPod and electrocutes your ears! *shudder*

Haha, anyway, I guess chivalry is not dead after all (think there was a topic like this on Peishan's blog). Too bad, you were too near home to take advantage to that once in a lifetime offer. Btw, what car was he driving? Hamsome or not? Hahaha...

Prisca said...

>Inky: Driving toyota celica. Hamsome or not ar? Lemme recollect... Ok lor.. not bad la... Chivalry? Dun know leh... too drenched, too cold, too embarrass to accept his offer.. hahaha

I was already listening to my ipod mah .. so I didnt switch it iff & continued. okokok.. I will NOT listen to any eletronics (e.g. ipod, mp3, radio) when walking in the rain... hehehe..

Gabster said...

So happening on ur way home, in such a short space of time??

yah loh.. never take up offer.. maybe knight in black (black celica) horse leh.. hehe

I can think of worse.. the bat short circuit and the ipod catch fire, burning the bag containing it.. :P

Amleth said...

Look on the bright side ... if you did not have the embarassing scene, you would never have been offered a lift. :)

Although, it maybe a good thing you did not need to accept the offer of a lift at all! I don't know much about the car lift scene in Singapore (no has offered me a lift so far, *sob*), but in KL, people who offer lifts usually have other things not necessarily limited to giving you a lift in mind .... Better to be safe than sorry!

Prisca said...

>gabster: Yeah! It was just a span of half an hour & much has happened. Actually.... I thought he wanted directions that's why I halted (in the rain!) on my way back. Frankly, even if Daniel Wu or Shawn Yue were sitting in it.. I won't dare to take up an offer with him!! Celica leh.. like cheongster... I dun wish to put my life in major peril just cos I'm drenched (OK the ipod in the rain is almost as risky but something less traumatising i think!)

>amleth: Err....I would have preferred heading home without anymore "disturbances" after the embarrassing moment! Yeah ... I dun think I like to take lifts from total strangers.. not only about the safety factor.. BUT ALSO have to make SMALL TALK with total strangers since in their car!! Small talk with TOTAL strangers is too much to handle for my brain esp on a rainy night!! I just wanna head home!! heheh..

>didi: Even if it was a good deed... I wouldn't accept. The lady can 'pay' the good deed forward.. I just wanna head home & sleep!! :P

Tiger said...

picked up? haha... tell him to offer a lift at centrepoint next time. ;p or better still get his hp and call him for a future lift? haha.... just kidding...

Prisca said...

>tiger: haha... no la.. to give "black celica" the benefit of a doubt.. its most likely seeing woman in distress (drenched in rain) and offering help. Lol. Hahah... err.... I'm old fashion.. I won't ask for guys' numbers!! Especially STRANGERS!! Plus... even if I do so.. skalli he chargme me Booking fee like cabs!!! Hee hee