Sunday, September 12, 2010

Year of the Porridge

Yes, the year ain't over but it feels like I have had more porridge than any of my years since I was born. Except maybe the year where I had chickenpox during CNY and could only have porridge for all my meals and was not allowed to touch any of the Chinese New Year goodies as most had eggs as its ingredients. The Chinese (at least the Singaporean Chinese) believe that when one is having CHICKENpox, one cannot touch anything related to (yes, that's right) CHICKEN and beans (cos you're having pox = in mandarin translation sounds like beans). Now, looking back at the year of my chickenpox where I was only primary 3/4? I had such perseverance as a kid. I didn't touch any of the CNY goodies for a good 6 months and stuck to my grandma's porridge with minced pork with nothing else. The minced pork weren't even marinated ok. And 6 months ain't a joke or a short period for a primary school kid.

Ok, before I digress to my perservering childhood... I was saying that this is the year of the porridge for me. Here's why:-

Operation in late April (Hospitalisation leave for 2 weeks):- It was porridge for my 3 meals for 2 weeks.

After going back to work from my op:- I continued to have porridge as my breakfast and lunch for another 2 weeks.

Sick few months ago:- It was porridge for my 3 meals for that one day.

Today I am down with stomach flu:- And I am having porridge since yesterday for my 3 meals.

So yeah.. ain't complaining since at least there's still something to eat. As for stomach flu... I only lost a miserable 0.6kg! I mean c'monnnnnn!! If it's stomach flu, just give it to me so I can lose the weight (even if it's water weight only .. heheh) easily within a couple of days!! Why isn't it making my pain and my body aches "worth" it?! Urgh.

No comments: