Saturday, May 08, 2010

It's Funny How...

- People impose their preferences on your life, they make their preferences known, they tell you what you should and not do (and I'm not even referring to people who are giving genunine sound constructive advice) AND gets pissed off when they realised you do not heed their preferences.

It's even funnier (to me at least) how the same bunch of people come complaining that they cannot stand so and so imposing their opinions onto them. ?????

I think it's also funny how the same people often do not realise that they tell you what you shouldn't do, not realising that they have done what they themselves tell others not to do in the past. Ah... the double standards of life! -.-!!! Ah... I suppose what goes around comes around?


Sometimes I imagine in my head (think Ally Mcbeal) that I'll be saying: "Hah! Now you know how I feel when you said blah blah blah to me the other time and imposed your preferences onto me!" OR "You can impose and say what you want but it won't change my mind... so deal with it!" OR "What gives you the right to impose and police your preference onto me or be pissed with others who does it to you when you've been doing that to me ?".

But like in the show "You've got mail", Meg Ryans' character in that movie is not capable of saying something nasty and meaning it without feeling any twinge of guilt. Not boasting or anything but I know and I know that I am like that because I've said nasty things in the past and try to mean it but always feeling bad about it for days on end.

It's such people that constantly reminds me that we are fallen. We've fallen short of His glory and we are all in need of His grace and every one can do with more grace...including myself! So though I am at the brunt of it, the reminder to myself is to show grace to others and not impose my opinions or preferences on another person as much as I can.


- People tell me that they have thought it through long and hard and though its not the appropriate time ... they still tell you the news?!?!?! What gives??

Cannot wait until later on then tell me? If one have thought it THROUGH and thought it through long and hard somemore AND also know ITS NOT THE APPROPRIATE TIME, then why even bother telling me now? Cannot wait another 1 day, 2 days, 1 week or 1 month later to tell me? If it's not life and death, save it!

- People just call you to "catch up with you" when all they really want to do is tell you to "catch up on them" and update you on their latest life stories and hang up when they are done with "catching up with you".

In such circumstances, I really thank God for free incoming calls.

- People try to comfort you and encourage you, they end up saying all the wrong things because they don't really know what to say yet in their good nature they still want to say something to cheer you up and at the end of the conversation, they may or may not realise they have said the wrong things to you (From my observations, often they do not realise it) and they felt that they have done their bit to cheer you up without realising that they have left you puzzled and more discouraged than before.

I learned to take a pinch of salt in such situations and sometimes to not even take a pinch of salt in the things people say. It's in such situations, I appreciate people who are sincerely honest with themselves (e.g. "I don't know what to say to you") or the golden silence. Also, I learn to see beyond their words and actions that the truly good natured people truly means well.

It's through such scenarios that I am reminded of the special someone in my life that never imposes His preference, His choice, His opinions on me even though He is the only credible person that does not live a double standard life.

I am reminded of how He has shown grace unto me. I am reminded of how He doesn't say much sometimes but just waits there patiently for me to be ready to talk and yet I know He is there for me all the time.

Through all these, I am reminded that He is the only one who created me and died for me and has every right to speak into my life and impose His opinions and preferences in any fashion that He likes to. As such, I live for no one but my God, my saviour, my comforter and friend.

No comments: